Thursday, March 22, 2012

No time to feel sorry for myself!

It’s so easy to get in a funk and feel sorry for yourself that life isn’t going the way you planned. Have you been there? I have. In fact, it was just a few weeks ago. I was running a 5k, feeling strong and even posted my personal best 5k time. The thing was, I hurt myself as I was finishing the race and saw my goal of finishing the Dallas Rock N Roll Half benefiting Susan G. Komen on March 25th become a thing of the past.

I was devastated. I run and walk to fundraise for cancer research, to help raise awareness and to honor those we’ve lost and are in the fight. I found myself not able to do the one thing that I thought gave people a reason to donate to my efforts. I quickly got in a funk, felt sorry for myself and was determined that I would at least walk the half marathon.

Then something clicked. Here I am always telling people that we each play a role in finding a CURE. Some of us run/walk, some make donations, some volunteer and some cheer and offer encouragement. It hit me that my role has currently changed and that I don’t have to always be walking or running but that I can fundraise and cheer those who are doing the walking and running. I always remember how the 3-Day cheer stations lift my spirits when I’m out walking 60 miles for a cure. I know how important that is to each and every one of us even when we don’t know each other.

So instead of willing myself to walk 13.1 miles and possibly delaying myself from healing, I will be out cheering on all the runners and walkers. I CAN make a difference in the fight against cancer and you can too!

Oh and I can’t forget, Team J&S4EVER is only 4 Weeks away from our participation in the Boston Marathon! Tracy will be running and I am volunteering. My official assignment is 25th Mile Support Crew. I will be right near the finish making sure that each and every runner makes it all 26.2 miles!

Tracy and I are fundraising for Dana Farber Cancer Institute and we have a long way to go to reach our goal. Please visit our website www.forallyoudid.com and donate if you can. Every little bit helps!

What was I thinking? I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself.
I have a lot of things to do Until There Is A Cure!

Catrina Gibson
J&S4EVER

No comments:

Post a Comment