Sunday, March 18, 2012

Running Update and the Rock N Roll Half

Where do I begin to start my update? I signed up for a running class through RunOn! to train for the Dallas Rock N Roll Half Marathon benefiting Susan G. Komen on March 25th. The class started in mid December with group runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Training was going good and I was even getting use to getting up at 4:15am to run. In January, I ran the Hotcake Hustle 5k and Too Cold To Hold 15k. I was so excited and amazed at how strong I had started to feel running and that a 6 mile run was nothing to worry about any more and then………

Saturday, February 11th came along. It was a very cold morning of 17 degrees and I was all set to run the Hot Chocolate 5k. All was going well and I was a short distance from the finish line and started to speed up as I always like to finish strong. My leg, however, had other ideas and it’s hard to explain how it felt but just know it was not a good feeling I made it across the finish line and it turns out it was my personal best time for a 5k since I started running a year ago. I tried to play off the pain I was having in my leg but every step I took hurt. I smiled and said, “I’m ok, it will be fine.”

I took the week off from running and went to my Primary Care doctor the following Friday, February 17th as one of my coaches had told me it’s always good to be safe. Turns out I’m very glad I went as by Friday my back had started hurting as well and by Saturday I was unable to put my shoe on without my back screaming at me. I was rather baffled as to why my leg and now my back was hurting a week later? The Doc had given me meds and told me to give it 5 days so I gave it 6 and tried to run again on Thursday, February 23rd.

That wasn’t a good plan as it turns out. I started out and thought maybe my leg just needs to warm up and it will feel better but that was not the case. We had made it to our turn around for our warm up mile when I let my coach know I was done. He ran with me a little ways and at one point said, “You look like you are swinging a dead leg.” Yep, that’s pretty much how it felt too! I made it an excruciating warm up mile. Good thing we were close to home as we were scheduled to run at the track that morning.

Next, stop Texas Sports Medicine and Orthopedics, however I couldn’t get in until the following Thursday, March 1st. I left the Dr’s office totally baffled as he wanted to get an MRI of my back and prescribed 10 sessions of physical therapy. What? My back, I swear it’s my leg?!?!?!. I mean I know my back hurt that one weekend but the Meds made it feel better. Granted it didn’t feel great but I could deal with it as I’ve had to before, but my leg was sooooo not better.

The bad thing is I would be traveling all next week and so I knew my MRI wouldn’t be for another week. I feel like I’m just wasting time and all I wanted to do was get better so I could join my running group again. I was able to get to the Physical Therapist (PT) before leaving town so I had exercises to do while I was traveling. This made me feel a little better and at least I had something to work on and give me hope until I knew what this MRI would tell me.

I got back to Dallas and had my MRI on Monday, March 12th and my follow up visit with the Dr. on Thursday, March 15th. I was on pins and needles wondering what the outcome would be……………..

I left his office frustrated:( He told me I had a small bulging disc. Good news is it’s small:) He suggested that since I hadn’t felt much change in my back and the nerve issue I have in the bottom of my leg/foot to get a cortisone shot. I asked him does this explain the pain I have in my leg (it’s my sit bone). He said “No, where is it hurting?” So I showed him and he felt it and said, “I think we are dealing with two issues, your back and your hamstring.” Really, I already knew that?!?!?!

In case you are counting weeks, it’s been 5 weeks and I sure felt like I was right back where I started. Let’s just say I wasn’t real happy.

I talked to my PT the next day and was able to ask him some questions that I didn’t think to ask when I was at the Dr. I’m a little less frustrated now as I know that the lower back and hamstring are connected. If my hamstring is strained then it pulls on my lower back. So I’ve been working on strengthening my core and hamstring.

I am scheduled to get my cortisone shot tomorrow March 19th and we shall see if that helps the inflammation in my back and then we will go from there. Still not sure how long the road to recovery will be but I’m going to do what I’m told and I know I will be back and stronger than ever before. I have to be as I have to continue to fundraise and bring awareness to finding a cure for cancers.

I’m really bummed that I won’t be able to run let alone walk the Rock N Roll Half Marathon benefiting Susan G. Komen this coming weekend. As the saying goes, “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it”. So guess what, I will be there cheering loudly and holding up signs for all those I know and don’t know that are running and walking it. Like I’ve told all of you before everyone plays a part in finding a cure, sometimes it’s running/walking, sometimes it’s giving donations, and sometimes it’s just cheering people on to the finish line. Together we WILL find a cure!

No comments:

Post a Comment