Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 3: 2011 Dallas 3-Day

I woke up much to my displeasure earlier than I had planned on Sunday morning. I’m a light sleeper so the first noise I hear I’m wide awake. Sunday we turned back our clocks only apparently a few people (I won’t name names) didn’t get the memo:(  Soooo at 4am I was awake and had nowhere to be until 6:30am when the first busses would take us to our starting point for the day. I took my time packing and putting away my tent and then I went to eat breakfast and have a few cups (3) of coffee.

We got in line for the bus about 6:10 and there was already a pretty big line. Those of us that have done the walk before know you want to get in line early or you end up having to wait quite awhile for a bus. I’m not big on crowds and waiting so I like to get up and out on the route as soon as I can.
They changed up the lunch break this year which threw us for a loop as we had planned to make our Starbucks stop before lunch like we did last year. Instead we made the Starbucks stop and kept on walking as instead of 2 miles to lunch we still had about 5 miles. We weren’t happy about the change until we got to lunch and realized that it was so perfect for us mentally. Knowing that we were at lunch and only had 2 miles left after that was such a relief. I have to admit by lunch Sunday we were all feeling pretty tight, sore and ready to just be done!

We ended up in holding at about 2pm and closing ceremonies was at 4:30pm. I had lain down on the cool cement for a bit (it felt really good!) and then all of a sudden it just hit me, “I have to go cheer my team in.” Maybe it’s just me but to come through the finish line and see people you know and have sweated, trained and fundraised with is very rewarding. Seeing the looks on the rookies faces, knowing they just completed what they once thought was impossible is priceless. I saw so many people that I met and talked to on training walks and clinics and to see them cross the finish line with tears streaming down their faces, overcome with joy for the accomplishment and sadness for those they are remembering. I share in their joy and their sorrow as I know what the 3-Day is all about, the family we are, and that one cause brings us together and bonds us for a lifetime. I wore myself out cheering them in and almost lost my voice but it was worth it!

Highlights of Day 3: A Team of four ladies recognized my fluffy hat and said we love our bags. I recommended the Nike Varsity Girl Gymsack available for $12.99 at Academy to them at a New Balance clinic. I absolutely love my bag so I talk about it to every 3-Day person. I really think Nike and Academy need to pay me a commission: Our 2 year Starbucks tradition. It’s a well deserved treat: Crossing the finish line with all my PSIM teammates. They are more than just a team, they are family and I love them all.
Oh yes! I almost forgot to update you on my feet (the four letter F word). Call me crazy but believe it or not they feel better than they did before the walk. I’m not saying they are healed but they feel better. Maybe all that walking is just what they needed.

Stay tuned as I have many things in the works for next year!

In It To End It!
J&S4EVER

No comments:

Post a Comment