Sunday, November 21, 2010

Running for a Cure -Week1

So I started my training for the Half Marathon that I have signed up to run in March 2011. I will be raising at least $250 for Breast Cancer. A Half Marathon, to you non-runners, is 13.1 miles. I found a great website for assistance in my training. It’s Hal Higdon’s website. I have had quite a few people send me in his direction so he must know his stuff. I’m starting with Hal Higdon Beginner Plan. It is a run/walk plan.

I’m in pretty good shape but I’m not in runner’s shape so I’ve decided to take it slow and try and do it right this time. I’ve jumped into running before thinking I needed to push myself to run 2 or 3 miles and then I ended up hurting my hip and knees and everything else. I thought maybe I would never be able to run. I’m a determined person though and I really want to run. It’s not only a personal challenge but one that will also raise money for a Cause I believe in.

I’m getting up at 5am on weekday mornings and getting my run in. My best buddy, Tracy in NC is my backup alarm (6am there). If she doesn’t hear from me that I’m up, I expect a call from her so it’s my goal to never make her call me. I’m not really sure if she would call but just knowing it’s a possibility holds me accountable. She has enough to worry about getting her hubby and two kids up and then off to school and work. So far so good as today is day 6 of the 30 day plan. I have not run yet today but will this afternoon. I figure I deserve to sleep in a little on the weekends. In my 5 days of running I have already seen a little improvement. My first day I ran/walked 1.9 miles and by day 5 I was up to 2.25 miles. My body is feeling pretty good so I think the plan is working for me so far.

I’m also working in strength training and yoga into my training plan. I have two bad knees so it’s important that I keep the muscles in my knees strong to help protect them. I’m doing the yoga to help my core strength as well as balance and stretching. I found a Yoga class at my gym that I can go to on T/TH during my lunch hour. I started that this past week and yoga is harder than you would think or maybe my balance is just really bad!!

Stay tuned as I hope to keep everyone updated weekly on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment